Winter 2018

Pack Light, Pack Right

'Packing is my favorite part of traveling!' said no one ever. Every time I travel, I repeat the same mistakes: stuffing my suitcase full of unnecessary items, dragging my heavy luggage through crowded airports, and leaving most of what I packed untouched. To save you from making these same mistakes, here are some tips I have found that make packing more efficient.

Prepare to pack
Don’t wait to pack until the night before you leave on a trip. Make a list ahead of time so you can think through everything you need and pack only the necessities. While making your list, think about the climate of your destination. Consider the activities you will be doing to make sure you pack the appropriate clothing.

Coordinate outfits
When deciding what clothes to bring, choose a few pieces that you can mix and match. Focus on bringing neutral pieces, too, so that you can create many outfits out of just a few pieces.

Minimize shoes
When packing shoes, think long and hard about whether you will actually wear each pair. Shoes often take up the most space, so it is important to pack only the ones you will use. A good rule of thumb is to pack two or three pairs: a dressier pair, a casual pair, and either sandals or boots, depending on the climate. On the day you leave for your trip, consider wearing your heaviest pair of shoes to save space in your luggage.

Roll clothes
You’ve decided what to bring, but now you have to fit everything into your suitcase. Instead of folding your clothes, try rolling them. By rolling your clothes, you will be able to store more items in your suitcase without having to compromise on space. A suitcase with rolled clothes is also much easier to live out of for extended periods of time.

By following these simple tips, you will be on the road to becoming an efficient packer. At first, leaving behind your favorite items may prove difficult. But remember, the less you bring, the freer you will be to explore!

—Maci Hiatt

Sources:https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-tips-and-articles/how-to-pack-light-tips-from-a-master-packer/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d2766ce0https://www.huffingtonpost.com/us-news-travel/how-to-pack-light-9-tips_b_3354703.html